3.08.2009

Spring Has Sprung a Leak!

Woohoo! It’s Daylight Savings Time. And about time, too. I think they should do away with Standard Time. Why change the time so it’s dark earlier? It just makes me grumpy. And tired. When it’s dark, I keep glancing at my bed like it’s calling my name. When it’s dark, I lose my metabolism.

When it’s light out, I’m energetic and running around finding things to do. Go outside and putter in the garden. Sit in a lounge chair outside and read. Go for walks and look at all the life around me. Daylight Savings means Spring is coming! It is just around the corner!

When it’s dark, nothing appeals to me except snuggling on the couch, reading a book, taking naps, and generally wishing for just one sign of spring.

Now the time has changed and it’s instantaneous and miraculous. I’m ignoring the snow piles still remaining after our record breaking winter. However, I have two container planters where the chives in one look smashed beyond repair. Will life come back in my chives? All the perennials are flattened by the weight of the snow and the weeks and weeks under that snow. I only recently, in the last week, saw sign of my container planters. Birds and squirrels are scampering across the yard, zigzagging snow berms. Quail have come out of their hiding places and are scurrying through the field across the road.

I am claiming Spring is here! Never mind that it snowed last night. Never mind the bitter wind that whipped me yesterday. Never mind that it is Snowing. Right. Now! I mean, look out the window - there is literally a blizzard going on - I can't see The Davenport next door. No, I'm not going to look. It is NOT snowing on my Spring watch. I am damned tired of winter and I'm not taking it any more. I do not care if it snows ten feet. Spring is here! Dag nabbit.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great title. This too shall pass Jeanie. Bask in the glow of your great biopsy news. :-)