1.25.2009

Summons

There it was. Those words. You Have Been Summoned. It looked sinister and ominous.

Holy cow! I have been called to jury duty! First time ever! O boy! O boy! (a little dancing, a little high-fiving, a little "framing of my summons" going on.)

I know it is based on my being an adult, licensed driver, home owner, or somehow have an identification card showing I’m, . . . . what? Smart? Objective? Mature? Can I be your peer?

Here I am, almost 60 years old and I’ve been sniveling about NOT being “chosen” for jury duty. Like it was some kind of contest. So typical of my life – first in 4th grade being the last.one.standing to be picked for one of two teams. Now, I am entering close-to-retirement years and I finally got picked for jury duty. They say you have been “randomly” picked – but I know better. They couldn’t find anyone else taller, smarter, prettier, or more athletic and they had to settle for. . . . . . . . .me.

I’m kidding of course. It is a serious duty and my right as a member of the community and I wasn’t being snubbed. Much.

I’ve heard the stories, though, of how utterly boring it is. Very, very few get the high profile cases. The rest are domestic quarrels with your neighbor, shop lifting, bla bla snooze.

So, what should I wear? Can I bring my I-pod? My laptop? Food?

.

6 comments:

Hank Greer said...

Was this from the federal or county court?

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when people say, "Not to rain on your parade or anything." And then rain on your parade?
Anyway, not to rain on your parade or anything but you have been summoned, not chosen. You may have to wait all day only to be dismissed, rejected, passed over.
At least, that's what I've heard. I, alas, have never even been summoned :-(

Jeanie said...

Hank - County - no fun there. And Cindy - well, rats! I could *still* be the last man standing. How pitiful.

Hank Greer said...

Definitely bring something to occupy your mind and hope you don't get picked for a L&I case.

Anonymous said...

My wife got summoned once. She sat, and sat and finally they told her not to come back after three days. Personally, I never want to get summoned. I have no right to judge anyone. Actually I got summoned to the Supreme Court of the State of Alaska, but I no longer lived there. That's as close as I ever want to come to judging others.

myrtle beached whale said...

I have been called for jury duty twice. I never got picked. I think it is because I am educated and have an opinion. They hate that. Good luck.