3.06.2008

Tornado (or Tomato) Warning

When my children were in day care, about age 4 and 5, we had a very rare occurrence of small tornadoes touching down. This just doesn't happen in Washington. I had picked up my children and knew they were really hyped about something! They were chattering at once, eyes wide with wonder, as they explained to me that we had a "tomato" warning today. I just thought it was hilarious to have these two little boys visualizing tomatoes falling from the sky.


It was one of those blustery
windy
gusty days.

The sky was black at noon,
the wind pushed you across the street.

The day care huddled all kids inside
safe
warm.

Parents picked them up
one
by
one.

I picked up my two.

Wide-eyed, saucer-eyed.
Such an exciting day today, they said.

Both talking at once,
quite in awe.

They asked if I had heard,
too,
of. . . .

The Tomato Warnings

No comments: